Purpose and scope
This website is operated by SchwartzWilliams Pty Ltd ACN 601 487 414 (SchwartzWilliams) who may operate in conjunction with any one or more of SchwartzWilliams No. 1 Pty Ltd ACN 601 487 512, SchwartzWilliams No. 2 Pty Ltd ACN 602 184 412, Schwa Pty Ltd ACN 054 593 501, Schwartz Media Pty Ltd ACN 138 337 023, SchwartzWilliams Japan Pty Ltd ACN 602 184 485, Recon Oz Pty Ltd ACN 601 487 585, Million Plus Pty Ltd ACN 122 282 599, Dog No. 7 Pty Ltd ACN 144 646 159, Noonbenz Pty Ltd ACN 068 801 525 their related bodies corporate, associates and affiliates (Associates).
We are committed to complying with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act), including the Australian Privacy Principles.
We will provide a free copy of this policy to anyone who asks for it.
By using this website, signing up to any of our accounts or services (including memberships, promotions, digital data rooms and data alerts), subscribing to any of our newsletters, providing any advertisements, contacting us through our website, or accepting our Terms and Conditions, you agree to your personal information being handled in accordance with this policy.
What types of personal information does SchwartzWilliams collect?
Personal information means information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable, whether the information or opinion is true or not, and whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.
Examples of personal information collected by SchwartzWilliams include individuals’ names, occupation, company, their source of inquiry and contact details (e.g. telephone number, email address and address), and the publications and topics of interest to individuals. For those who blog with us, personal information may also include photographs, location, profile and languages spoken.
SchwartzWilliams may collect the following personal information from job applicants, and contractors: name, employment history and experience, qualifications, date of birth, contact details, referee details, emergency contact details.
Names and contact details may also be collected from individuals representing industry related contacts.
Personal information can include sensitive information. Sensitive information is defined in the Privacy Act as information or an opinion about a person’s race, ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of political associations and trade associations, religious or philosophical beliefs, sexual orientation or practices, or criminal record, health information, genetic information about an individual that is not otherwise health information, biometric information that is used for the purpose of automated biometric verification or biometric identification and biometric templates.
SchwartzWilliams do not usually collect sensitive information. SchwartzWilliams will only ever collect sensitive information in circumstances where you have consented to the collection, or we are required or authorised by law to collect the sensitive information. If sensitive information is ever collected by SchwartzWilliams, it will only ever be used for the purpose it was collected. We never use or disclose sensitive information for direct marketing purposes.
How does SchwartzWilliams collect and hold personal information?
SchwartzWilliams generally collects personal information from:
- individuals who deal with us in person e.g. face to face or telephone;
- individuals who use our online subscription, listings or contact facilities, register for accounts online, or who email us about newsletters, advertising, products or services offered on or via websites that are operated by us, including but not limited to the websites hosted at the following domains: www.therealestateconversation.com.au; www.thehomepage.com.au; www.thebusinesspage.com.au; www.millionplus.com.au; www.retalkasia.com; www.reconjobs.com.au; www.retirencare.com.au; www.luxurylist.com.au; www.retalkmena.com; www.schwartzwilliams.com;
- Associates (as defined above);
- our overseas affiliates and media partners;
- our agents, service providers and contractors;
- property owners, property developers, real estate agents, brokers, valuers, researchers and other industry related contacts; and
- referees and former employers in the case of job applicants (including through the jobs portal), suppliers and contractors.
If you visit one of our websites, our internet service provider may record certain information about your visit, including:
- internet address;
- domain name;
- internet service provider;
- the date and time of the visit to the website;
- any information or documentation and or data downloaded;
- your feedback, comments and conversations;
- the length of the session;
- the pages accessed;
- the website that referred to our website;
- the type and version of the browser; and
- the operating system used.
We are also able to collect information about email recipients including geographical location and viewing and interaction activity (such as views, bounces, clicks, replies, forwards, opt outs and links). This information is aggregated for analysis as de-identified data.
We use pixels, or transparent GIF files, on our websites to help manage online advertising and email marketing. These files enable our service providers to recognise a unique cookie in your Web browser, which in turn enables us and our service providers to learn which advertisements and emails brought you to our website, and how you use our website. GIF files are used to:
- track responses to advertisements, emails and site content (including social media engagements);
- determine your ability to receive HTML based emails;
- record how many users open an email;
- compile aggregated statistics;
- better target interactive advertising;
- enhance customer support and site usability; and
- provide offers and promotions that we believe would be of interest to you.
SchwartzWilliams does not collect any of the personal information that you may input into third party search, quote and application tools available on our website/s, for example but not limited to online loan search or application tools powered by Ratesonline.com.au Pty Ltd, online enquiry tools provided by moneyQuest Australia Pty Ltd, online insurance quote forms provided by moneyQuest Insurance Services Pty Ltd, and sold data and personal data from Walk Score, and others from time to time. You should consult the relevant third parties’ privacy policies for information about how they will handle your personal information.
Cookies and Other Technologies
Cookies and other technologies may be used by us or by third parties when you visit any of our websites or use any of our applications or related digital properties (individually and collectively, “Services”). In some cases, we may collect personal information from the cookies. ‘Cookies’ contain some information with a unique ID number pertaining to your computer. We may use this information to determine your usage and the Services performance.
We may also collect information about your browsing behaviour, such as but not limited to, the number of times you have visited, the date you visited and the amount of time you spent using our Services. We may also collect anonymous data (which is not personal information) about performance and errors that occur while you use our Services.
The information collected from cookies and other technologies is used solely for our internal purposes in managing our Services and improving their functionality and reliability, as well as to assist us in better targeting advertising, report statistics, analyse trends, administer our services, diagnose any errors and thereby enhancing customer support, site usability and quality.
Disclosure of personal information
In the course of its business, SchwartzWilliams may disclose personal information to:
- users of our websites;
- potential purchasers of businesses, advertisers, data and real estate and their professional advisers;
- our Associates (as defined above);
- our overseas affiliates, located in but not limited to;
- property developers, property owners, real estate agents, brokers, valuers and other real estate industry contacts;
- third parties where you have requested information, goods or services from them (e.g. Ratesonline.com.au Pty Ltd if you use the online loan search or application tools powered by ratesonline.com.au that are accessible from our website/s, moneyQuest Australia Pty Ltd if you use its online forms to enquire about financial advice or car loans and moneyQuest Insurance Services Pty Ltd if you use the online insurance quote forms accessible from our website/s) and others from time to time;
- lenders and mortgage brokers;
- insurers and insurance brokers;
- referees and former employers (in the case of job applicants and contractors);
- external organisations that are our agents, suppliers, service providers or contractors;
- advertisers for marketing material;
- syndicated listing sites;
- our shareholders;
- our sponsors;
- media partners;
- our professional advisers, such as accountants, lawyers and auditors; and
- if required or authorised by law, regulatory bodies, government agencies and authorities, law enforcement bodies and courts.
Why does SchwartzWilliams need personal information?
The purposes for which SchwartzWilliams collects, holds, uses and discloses personal information include:
- providing you with information about retirement and aged care;
- sending you newsletters, publications, communications and advertising material (including third party publications, communications and advertising material);
- providing our overseas affiliates, co-publishers and media partners with your email address so that they can send you local and or relevant versions of our publications;
- advertising or marketing products, opportunities and services (including third party products and services);
- responding to enquiries or providing a relevant product or service as requested;
- providing you with information in relation to real estate or the real estate industry;
- compiling, analysing and sharing statistics, sold data and or case studies;
- to customise our services or advertising;
- administration, business planning and other internal management functions and operations related to the provision or management of SchwartzWilliams’ products or services, including research and development;
- debt collection;
- complying with our legal obligations;
- assessment of employment applications;
- other purposes for which it was collected.
SchwartzWilliams may use personal information to send direct marketing material in relation to SchwartzWilliams products or services, Associates’ products or services, or the products or services of third parties.
SchwartzWilliams may also disclose personal information to Associates, our overseas affiliates; our partners; co-publishers; our sponsors and other third parties, in order to facilitate direct marketing by those parties.
If you do not wish to receive marketing information from SchwartzWilliams, you may at any time opt-out of receipt of further marketing communications by contacting our Privacy Officer (contact details below). If direct marketing is by email, you may also use the unsubscribe function.
You should also contact our Privacy Officer if you do not wish us to disclose your personal information to third parties for direct marketing purposes.
Government related identifiers
SchwartzWilliams does not use any government related identifiers, such as driver’s licence numbers, as its own internal identifier of any individual. SchwartzWilliams will not use or disclose any government related identifiers other than in accordance with the Privacy Act, or as otherwise required or authorised by law.
Data integrity and security
SchwartzWilliams endeavours to ensure that all personal information it holds is accurate, complete and up-to-date. To assist us with this, individuals should contact us if any of their personal information changes, or if they believe that the personal information we have is not accurate or complete.
SchwartzWilliams takes reasonable steps to protect the personal information that they hold from misuse, interference or loss, or from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
If SchwartzWilliams no longer requires personal information that it holds (including when we are no longer required by law to keep records relating to you), it will take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to destroy the information or ensure that the information is de-identified.
SchwartzWilliams may disclose your personal information to overseas recipients globally this may include but is not limited to locations such as, New Zealand, Japan, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, China, Mongolia, Thailand, other Asian countries, United Arab Emirates, M.E.N.A and the United States of America.
By accessing any of our websites or services you consent to disclosure of your personal information anywhere in the world on the basis that SchwartzWilliams will not be accountable under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) or equivalent overseas laws, and you will not be able to seek redress under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and may not be able to seek redress under overseas law if the overseas recipient handles your information in a way that breaches the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). Overseas recipients may not be subject to any privacy obligations that are similar to the Australian Privacy Principles, and may be subject to a foreign law that could compel the disclosure of personal information to a third party such as an overseas authority.
Access and correction
Individuals can ask SchwartzWilliams for access to their personal information held by SchwartzWilliams by sending a written request to our Privacy Officer at the address below.
SchwartzWilliams does not impose a charge for making a request for access, however we may charge for reasonable administrative costs incurred in providing access.
You can ask SchwartzWilliams to correct or update your personal information. SchwartzWilliams does not impose any charge with respect to requests for correction or updates.
Before correcting or providing access to personal information in response to a request, SchwartzWilliams will require your identity to be confirmed.
Requests for access or correction may be refused upon the grounds contained in the Privacy Act. If we refuse to provide access, or to correct personal information, SchwartzWilliams will provide you with reasons for the refusal.
Privacy related complaints should be directed to SchwartzWilliams’ Privacy Officer in writing at the email or postal address shown below. No charge will be imposed for the making of a complaint, or for dealing with the complaint.
Once a complaint has been lodged, our Privacy Officer will acknowledge its receipt to you as soon as possible.
We will endeavour to respond to your complaint as soon as possible.
We will do our best to ensure that our investigation is completed, and a decision on your complaint is communicated to you, within 30 days of our receipt of the written complaint. We will inform you if we need more time. If we are not able to resolve your complaint to your satisfaction you may also contact the Australian Information Commissioner.
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
GPO Box 5218
SYDNEY NSW 2001
Telephone: 1300 363 992
Employee records are exempt from the operation of the Australian Privacy Principles.
Privacy Officer contact details
SchwartzWilliams' Privacy Officer’s contact details are:
Address: Privacy Officer
Level 1, 221 Drummond Street
Carlton, Melbourne VIC, Australia 3053
Telephone: +61 (03) 9486 0288 or 1300 377 037 (within Australia)
Email: [email protected]
Changes to this policy
Where we have collected your personal information from one of our overseas affiliates, partners, co-publishers, contributors and bloggers that affiliate has advised SchwartzWilliams understands that you have provided your consent to the use of your personal information for the purpose of receiving email publications, text messages and other electronic communications including Luxury List, and for direct marketing purposes.
If you do not wish to receive Luxury List, or any other SchwartzWilliams publications or marketing material, from SchwartzWilliams, you may at any time opt-out by contacting our Privacy Officer (contact details above). If the communication is by email, you may also use the unsubscribe function.
You should also contact our Privacy Officer if you do not want SchwartzWilliams to disclose your personal information to third parties for direct marketing purposes.
Legal and disclaimer
This publication is protected by copyright. All rights are reserved. No part of this work may be reproduced or copied in any form without the written permission of the publisher.
Because the information contained on this website and associated pages is general and has been prepared without consideration of any specific viewers legal, financial, tax, insurance, real estate objectives, investment objectives, risk profile, immigration citizenship, carer, health, medical needs or advice, financial situation or needs, we strongly recommend that an independent adviser/s should be consulted before any investment, financial, real estate, health, insurance, immigration or other decision is made.
While the information contained on this website is based on information from sources, which are considered reliable, SchwartzWilliams Pty Ltd ACN 601 487 414 (SchwartzWilliams), its officers, employees, bloggers, partners, affiliates and co-publishers and consultants do not represent, warrant or guarantee, expressly or impliedly, that the information contained in this article or blog is complete or accurate.
SchwartzWilliams does not accept any responsibility to inform you of any matter that subsequently comes to its notice, which may affect any of the information contained in this document.
To the extent permitted by law SchwartzWilliams excludes any liability, including any liability for negligence, for any loss, including indirect or consequential damages arising from or in relajkuuution to the use of any of the information on this website or associated pages.